Where and What to Eat: Denver Restaurant Week 2014 (303 Magazine)
It’s here! One week of gluttony for the sake of culinary adventure. Denver Restaurant Week 2014 kicks off thisSaturday February 22nd and runs through February 28th. The details are a little different this year (the $52.80 nod-to-Denver price tag is gone), but the idea is the same. One week of multi-course dinners offered by many of Denver’s best restaurants for one flat rate. The price? $60 for two or $30 for one (not including tax and gratuity).
Though there’s been grumbling about the price increase, a few more dollars a person allow the restaurants to offer larger portions and more upscale options on their menus. But with over 300 participating restaurants and only a week to test out as many as you can, it’s best to plan early and snag those reservations.
Scanning hundreds of menus can be overwhelming, so save your time for dining instead and check out our picks:
- Where: 1515 Market St.
- When: Monday – Saturday 5-10pm
- Phone: 303-571-0011
- The Deal: Running for an additional week (through March 7th), the modern American restaurant with a flair for presentation is offering a special three course menu with an optional wine & beer pairing for an additional $15 per person.
- Recommendation: The Bison Short Ribs here are a tender, savory pick and but the Banana Pecan Bread Pudding with Breckenridge Bourbon, cinnamon ice cream and caramel powder is enough reason to visit on its own.
Ace Eat Serve
- Where: 501 E 17th Ave
- When: Monday – Friday 11am-Midnight, Saturday – Sunday 2pm-Midnight
- Phone: 303-800-7705
- The Deal: This may be the best bang for your buck. 4 courses and an alcoholic treat from the bar at Denver’s only ping-pong hall/Asian diner.
- Recommendation: Go for the Dumpling Sampler to start and don’t forget your Ace Ale to wash it down with.
- Where: 1115 E. Evans Ave.
- When: Monday – Saturday 7am-11pm, Sunday 7am-2pm
- Phone: 720-459-8273
- The Deal: Try one of Denver’s newest and most anticipated restaurants with three courses and special Denver Restaurant Week cocktails available at an additional cost like the Colfax Fizz and the 5280 Especial.
- Recommendation: A combination of local ingredients and intriguing flavor combinations makes the Coffee Coriander crusted Local Lamb Loin with blackberry gravy, polenta and grilled squash a solid entrée selection.
Bonnano Brother’s Pizzeria
- Where: 8439 Park Meadows Center Dr. in Lone Tree
- When: Sunday – Thursday 11am-9pm, Friday and Saturday 11am-10pm
- Phone: 303-799-8900
- The Deal: Pizza is a timeless craving, and with this deal you get four courses with the option of a whole pie as an entrée.
- Recommendation: Stick with the classics like the Margherita Pizza with house mozzarella, San Marzano tomatoes and fresh basil.
- Where: 701 Grant St
- When: 5pm Daily
- Phone: 303-860-2929
- The Deal: Three courses from this American style noodle bar with an ever-changing menu and a reputation for fabulous steamed buns.
- Recommendation: Try the new Korean Fried Squid with stir fried vegetables and gojuchang from Chef Johnny DePierro to start and the signature Udon noodles in a rich plum-soy broth as your entrée.
- Where: 43 W. 9th Ave.
- When: Monday – Thursday 5-9pm, Friday – Saturday 5-10pmFri-Sat: 5pm – 10pm
- Phone: 303-454-0000
- The Deal: This European inspired restaurant is offering three courses of simple dishes that focus on letting each ingredient shine.
- Recommendation: A combination of the Wild Boar Ragout Appetizer, Smoked “Pastrami” Salmon with potato pancakes that rival any I’ve had before and the Chocolate Hazelnut Tart for dessert.
- Where: 1317 14th Street
- When: Monday – Friday 11:30am-2am, Saturday – Sunday2pm-2am
- Phone: 303-595-4255
- The Deal: A beer to start and three courses following with options from (nearly) the entire menu at this favorite Denver spot for house-made sausage, a solid craft beer seleciton and plenty more.
- Recommendation: Go adventurous with one of their stand out dishes, the Bruléed Center Cut Beef Marrow Bones, to start and definitely try a selection of the house-cranked sausages including an amazing Beef Short Rib Kielbasa.
- Where: 2900 East 2nd Avenue in Cherry Creek
- When: 5pm Daily
- Phone: 303-388-7428
- The Deal: Sample off the entire regular dinner menu. Each guest can pick a first course, entrée and dessert with no limitations AND get a $5 gift card for every $30 spent.
- Recommendation: The Crispy Pork Belly to start and the Colorado Beer Steamed Mussels would make for a memorable meal.
Jax Fish House
- Where: 650 S Colorado Blvd in Glendale (the Downtown location is also participating but features a different menu)
- When: 4pm Daily
- Phone: 303-756-6449
- The Deal: An appetizer, entrée and dessert from Denver’s popular fresh seafood destination.
- Recommendation: The fresh and incredibly tender Mahi Mahi with beet risotto, Brussels sprouts and candied lardons for the entrée.
Olive & Finch
- Where: 1552 E. 17th Ave.
- When: 7am-10pm Daily
- Phone: 303-832-8663
- The Deal: A casual take on restaurant week that invites you to relax and enjoy four courses at Chef Mary Nguyen’s popular new marketplace and café.
- Recommendation: The classic and satisfying French Beef Borguignon served with sautéed kale and farmers bread.
- Where: 1453 Larimer St
- When: Monday – Thursday 11am-10pm, Friday 11am-11pm, Saturday 11am-11pm, Sunday 11am-10pm
- Phone: 303-534-5855
- The Deal: The chance to sample three courses of fine Italian dining at this Denver staple.
- Recommendation: The local Colorado Striped Bass Milanese with olive oil poached fingerling potatoes, broccolini, and a red pepper agrodolce.
- Where: 1600 East 17th Avenue
- When: Sunday – Thursday 3-10pm, Friday – Saturday 3-11pm
- Phone: 303-399-0988
- The Deal: Another pick from Chef Mary Nguyen, although it’s a world away from Olive & Finch’s cuisine. Here you can enjoy four courses with a wine pairing option available for an additional $20 from this always creative, modern Vietnamese restaurant.
- Recommendation: Try the third course choice of Char Sui Duck Confit. Served with a sunchoke puree and baby fennel and finished with pickled cherries and kasu, this is a unique dish that shows off the best of P17.
- Where: 650 Sherman Street
- When: Monday – Tuesday 7am-10pm, Wednesday – Friday 7am-11pm, Sat 8am-11pm, Sunday 8am-10pm
- Phone: 303-595-0418
- The Deal: A salad, entrée, dessert AND one bottle of wine per pair of diners at a classic Denver favorite for casual
- Recommendation: Anything from the large selection of freshly made desserts including Carrot Cake, Peach Cobbler and Peanut Butter Cheesecake.
Restaurant Kevin Taylor
- Where: Inside the Hotel Teatro, 1106 14th St.
- When: Monday – Thursday 5:30-10pm, Friday 5:30-11pm, Saturday 5-11pm
- Phone: 303-820-2600
- The Deal: Experience Denver’s only four-star, four-diamond restaurant over three courses of elegant dishes.
- Recommendation: The Roasted Alaskan Halibut with snap pea-mint risotto, fennel-orange confit, artichokes and blood orange jus offers a fresh and surprising blend of flavors.
SALT the Bistro
- Where: 1047 Pearl St. in Boulder
- When: Sunday-Thursday 5–9, Friday-Saturday 5-10
- Phone: 303-444-7258
- The Deal: Four courses including a chef’s charcuterie to start and dessert from this Boulder eatery that is all about local, fresh, authentic ingredients.
- Recommendation: The garden-worthy vegetarian entrée option. The Local Vegetable Tasting features wood roasted cauliflower with capers and bread crumbs, roasted root vegetable, oyster mushroom polenta, balsamic braised Brussels sprouts, red beet risotto cake, organic kale and spaghetti squash.
The Squeaky Bean
- Where:1500 Wynkoop St #101
- When: Tuesday – Thursday 5-10pm, Friday – Saturday 5-11pm
- Phone: 303-623-2665
- The Deal: Three courses from this “transplanted” eatery. This is a great chance to explore what their new Chef, Theo Adley, has done since taking over in 2013.
- Recommendation: Try a little classic and then a little creative with the Fried Chicken Thigh option for the second course and the Lemon Curd Parfait with baked Alaska, blueberry cornflake crunch, and white chocolate snow to end the meal.
- Where: 2461 Larimer Street #101
- When: Monday – Thursday 8am-10pm, Friday 8am-11pm, Saturday 10am-11pm
- Phone: 303-297-3540
- The Deal: Three courses from this new Denver addition from Troy Guard that has a sweet focus.
- Recommendation: There is a Hanger Steak entrée option that will please diners looking for a hearty meal, but this place is all about saving room for dessert. Try the Chocolate and Peanut Butter Crème Bruleè with housemade vanilla marshmallow and raspberry caramel for a twist on this rich classic.
Water 2 Wine
- Where: 9608 East Arapahoe Road in DTC
- When: Tuesday – Saturday 12-8pm
- Phone: 303-799-9463
- The Deal: If wine is your dinner of choice, then this is the deal for you.A “three course” unlimited wine tasting of whites, reds and dessert wines along with paired snacks from this fully operational winery producing vino that is low in sulfates and contains virtually no chemicals.
- Recommendation: There’s no need to make tough choices here, just remember to clear a good 2 ½-3 hours for your experience.
- Where: 1610 Little Raven Street
- When: Sunday – Thursday 5-10pm, Friday – Saturday: 5-11pm
- Phone: 720-904-0965
- The Deal: An experience in Latin-American fusion in three courses from restaurateur Richard Sandoval.
- Recommendation: The Anchiote Grilled Chicken Breast with scallion-manchego potato puree, charred bok choy kimchi and Hong Kong jus really shows off the blend of cultures at Zengo and the Cajeta Flan would impress any date.